Thursday 8 March 2007

Meaningful, Trivial, and Hyperventilating

In the spirit of this blog which is fast becoming apparent, today I bring you lots of pictures again. And the obsessions are:

Meaningful: Nehemiah. Isn't it shiny? I suspect it's because it's written in the first person, and because it's not a book of the Bible I've concentrated on a lot before. I found it much more dynamic than Esther, which I've read a few times. Very cool. Take a look. (And Ezra too.)


Trivial: My luvverly new Sim I made, Katina. She's a teen, and the only sim I've made in weeks that I'm happy with. I love her nose; it has character : )
here she is without makeup, and with makeup.

here she is, looking glam.

here she is, two different casual looks.

And, hyperventilating: my new book! (Mmm, hardback-a-licious...)

Basically, even I'm not touching it until I can get it covered: The slipcover is almost immaculate, which is a minor miracle in a book with a white cover. And now, the story of why I'm hyperventilating:

In Australia, sometimes we get bad editions of good books. Sometimes we don't, like the Ladies of Grace Adeiu, and sometimes we do, like Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things, which only came out in a (rather expensive) paperback, without the cool transparent slipcover and the broken butterfly wings. With Good Omens, so far as I can tell, until recently everyone had to put up with a paperback. And then the new edition came out, with sexy variant covers that have the same ISBN. Which basically means that, if you order the book over the net or through a bookshop, it's lucky dip as to which cover you get. Borders Books here had the black cover; I wanted the white one. Plus, their copies were a bit dilapidated and yuk.

Luckily, I got a helpful staff member who pointed me to Pulp Fiction in Brisbane, who happened to have a copy with the white slipcover sitting on the shelf. So I bought it. It cost a bit more, but it's worth it to have the book with the cover I want, in decent condition. *squee* : )

Turns out I'm a lucky duck. Of the roughly 12 copies Pulp Fiction ordered in, only 2 were the white cover.

(Edited to add: So now I can give my held-together-with-contact-and-love paperback copy to my cousins, who I lent it to and then had to steal it back from.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey hey its me. my first little comment on ur blog. hehe. ur sim looks groovy. stil havnt checked out ur movie..... ill do it l8er. i started that art kit thing with rachel 2day she was really happy.... yay.... :) im so mean.... still wanna dye my hair black... will do it after i get a job. sculpture was heaps of fun. i luv it. am gonna get a student ID card from the TAFE coz i didnt get 1 from either skool. g i realy planned that well.... so every1 there thinks im little and cute and they are all very nice 2 me.
i still need peoples bdays.... argh. am realy annoyed about that. but now i guess i hav an excuse 4 askin peoples who technically i should already hav written down somwhere. hehe. now i just say i idid! but they wer all deleted. which is true in most cases. i was very proud of my calendar. but now iv got more bdays in it then wen i did b4 so its all good.