Tuesday 3 April 2007

Is it? Could it be?

I think I found a Sandman reference in a My Chemical Romance song. Yes. It's pop culture referencing, the emo way.
The song is 'It's not a fashion statement, it's a deathwish' and the lyrics at the beginning go
:
'For what you did to me,

and what I'll do to you,
you get, what everyone else gets,
you get a lifetime'
The Sandman quote is, of course, from the Brief Lives cycle, issue 43. It's one of the more famous quotes. Death comes for Bernie Capax, who has lived for fifteen thousand years. He says,
'That's pretty good. Isn't it? I lived a pretty long time.'
And Death replies,
"You lived what anybody gets, Bernie. You got a lifetime."
Coincidence? Probably. But on the whole, it's pretty cool. And it gives the song an interesting dimension.

Lyrics from here... Sandman quote here.

No comments: