Saturday 14 April 2007

The hippo of recollection stirred in the muddy waters of the mind.

Well, the advantage of having roughly six books on hold at the library at any one time is that you never know which one is going to turn up when. Today when I wandered down to the library it was Terry Pratchett's Soul Music. A long time ago, when I was young and uneducated and didn't know what Discworld was, there was I cartoon on, I assume, ABC Kids in the afternoon. It was really cool and I liked it. It was the TV adaptation of Soul Music - admittedly not the best way to discover Pratchett, it doesn't do him justice, but by the time they started showing Wyrd Sisters, I was hooked. Checking it out on YouTube, it seems to have become somewhat tawdry and cheap with age, but still, here's a clip for old times sake.

To this day, I still bear deep affection for Susan Sto Helit. And it's always wonderful to come back to a book you know you've enjoyed but can't remember - I'm assuming I must have hunted it down and read it sometime during my teens, but can't remember doing so. And while we're on the subject of Discworld, this is the best thing ever. I heart annotations - it's another one of those superiority things where I get to know more than others.

In other news, I have entirely the best family in the known and unknown universes. My aunty came back from a visit to the hometown bearing Easter chocolate - I felt really good about not taking advantage of half price leftover chocolate all this week - and the first three Sandman trades, which I get to keep while not actually being allowed to call my own (Dad called it 'extended loan'.) Yay my folks.

No comments: