Friday 21 September 2007

I see Stardust

Howdy. I haven’t posted the last couple days, sorry ‘bout that; I very cleverly managed to run out of internet at home and at uni simultaneously. And much drama ensued.

Yesterday, I went to see Stardust! Err, twice.

It was good enough the first time to make me want to see it again in short order, and I liked it even better the second time. Robert DeNiro was *awesome*, and I’m kind of in love with Charlie Cox, and all in all, it’s a funny, cute movie that y’all should go see.

(Paragraph has very low level *spoilers*) There were only two things from the book I missed, and it wasn’t the tree or the Lion/Unicorn battle. It was Yvaine’s very quiet profane reaction to being knocked out of the heavens, and the fact that Tristan didn’t free her from the silver chain willingly (if stupidly.) But if that’s the price to be paid for all the good new stuff, so be it.

If there’s any way of managing it, I prefer to go to the cinema alone. In spite or perhaps because of this, I love watching other movie-goers, and the people who saw Stardust were fascinating. The folk at the Regent in the morning were an interesting bunch (like the red-corseted girl who juggled plastic rings in the theatre waiting for the show to start, and *aww* the three generations of women from the same family who came along together,) but the people at Garden City in the evening were more fun. They were the ones who laughed in all the right places. Judging by both screenings, Stardust is the Gay Teen Date Movie of Choice (unless it has become the fashion for all teenage boys to wander around in pairs holding hands.) And you know how when you walk into a movie there might be a bunch of pensioners, or a bunch of twenty-something couples, or a bunch of teenagers in packs, or a bunch of families with kids? Stardust had no ‘or.’ Probably the most demographic-crossing movie crowd I’ve seen.

The trailers were cruddy (Fred Claus, Enchanted, something with the Rock) except the Golden Compass, which I’d be going to see even if the Fabulist didn’t say it was cool, and one of my favourite artists wasn’t doing conceptual work for it. I think I may pick up the books sometime between now and December, also.

I think I might go again next week sometime :)

No comments: